NEWPORT, RI (WPRI) — This week’s Cardi’s Furniture & Mattresses Hometown Sports Hero is Zoe Petrovas.

After breaking her wrist this Summer, the St. George’s junior decided that she would train for a road race to stay in shape. After choosing to run the Tufts Half Marathon, Petrovas took the next step and began a fundraiser for the Women’s Resource Center. Her humble goal of raising $1,000 was quickly eclipsed and her efforts ended with a donation of over $26,000 to the Center, that served over 1,300 victims of Domestic Violence in Newport and Bristol Counties last year.

“I remember my first donation, I think it was like $50 and I was like ‘Oh my God, this is amazing,I can’t believe people are actually donating,” Petrovas said. “I’m so happy and thankful for everyone that was able to support me.”

Zoe is planning to continue to help raise funds for the Center, with a dress down day set for February at St. George’s.

“When we see that there are advocates as young as Zoe, who want to get involved, who really want to help awareness, who really want to help with programs and services for victims of domestic violence, it’s really heart just touching, ” said Greg Thompson, the Center’s Development Director. 

If you have a Hometown Sports Hero you’d like to nominate, email sports@wpri.com.